Qatar has launched an investigation after heavy rains exposed poor construction
Qatar has launched an investigation after heavy rains exposed poor construction in the oil-rich country set to host the 2022 Fifa World Cup. The state-run Qatar News Agency said five firms are under investigation, without elaborating. The statement said the probe was launched by the prime minister, Sheikh Abdullah bin Nasser bin Khalifa Al Thani, who also serves as interior minister. The report late said that “parties responsible for dereliction or negligence, whether governmental or private, will be held accountable”.
The Gulf state has been hit by more than a year’s worth of rain in a matter of hours, bringing widespread disruption and prompting the premier to order an inquiry. Rain on Wednesday deluged Doha’s Hamad international airport, the home of Qatar Airways. Social media users reported leaks at the facility, which opened just last year after being constructed at an estimated cost of 17 billion US$. However, the airport said flights operated normally throughout the day.
This story first appeared in the blog, The Sport Intern. The editor is Karl-Heinz Huba of Lorsch, Germany. He can be reached at ISMG@aol.com. The article is reprinted here with permission of Huba.