I recently attended a webinar through the National Association of Athletic Advisor’s for Athletics (N4A). The message was to provide information for former National Football League (NFL) players that need a gameplan for their transition away from football. The Trust will help any former player with at least two years of playing experience in the NFL with their career, medical, nutrition, entrepreneurial and continuing education services.
The Trust was launched in 2013 the National Football League Players Association (NFLPA). This organization is committed to any former player’s well-being. There are six pillars of service that the Trust focuses on:
- Brain and Body – Designed to assess health needs and provide world-class medical care.
- Career – They provide career services and counseling for players transitioning out of the NFL.
- Financial – They provide assistance ranging from financial education to planning and management.
- Lifestyle – The stage helps players redefine their “normal.”
- Education – They help with degree completion and vocational training to help with their transition out of the NFL. This includes a scholarship fund to help meet their goals.
- Personal Interaction – They provide services that help former players develop, both socially and emotionally. (playerstrust.com)
The Trust also has additional resources available to help these former NFL players. Resources such as the Gene Upshaw Players Assistance Fund, Player Care Foundation, Working America Health Care Consultation, Union Plus, NFL Life Line, and NFL Players Assistance and Counseling.
The Trust also provides players with Former Players Regional Conferences across the country. The NFLPA conferences are free two-day professional and personal development workshops for players and their spouses that provide essential tools for a successful transition post football. For more information on these workshops and to register former players can go to www.nflpa.com/nflparc or follow the conversation #nflparc.
This is a very worthwhile organization that is trying to reach out to former NFL players that may be struggling and don’t have the resources available to them as they once did during their playing days. If you know of a former player that is looking for help please refer them to the following website, phone number, or e-mail address.
www.playerstrust.com – 866-725-0063 – firstname.lastname@example.org
Dr. Bret Simmermacher is the Chair of Sports Coaching at the Academy and can be reached at email@example.com.
Playerstrust.com (September 28, 2015), Retrieved from the Trust website: http://www.playerstrust.com/booklets/the-keys-to-a-successful-transition